This super-easy vegan porridge recipe is a great way to start the day for any cyclist.
– Coming up, we have got a recipe, with nutritionist Nigel Mitchell, this is a vegan breakfast for busy cyclists. Nigel, take it away.
– Right, so, what we’re going to be doing is making vegan porridge. So, we’ve got a cup of porridge oats, just put some water in there. So, it’s about twice as much water as what I’ve got as oats, and then, I’m going to put a dollop of coconut oil in there, and I’m using coconut oil because one, it adds great flavour. I’ll just put it in the microwave, just for two minutes, but also, the fats that are in it are quite healthy fats, and they are also, there’s a lot of what we call medium chain triglycerides. So, these are shorter fats that are easier for the body to digest and can help to fuel us while we’re on the bike. So, coconut oil provides that in itself as a food. The oats themselves, great form of carbohydrate, and they’re also good in protein, as well. So, oats are a really good sports food, giving everything that we need there.
– Right, so, we’re ticking all the boxes at breakfast.
– What I’d add to it is a few prunes. Let’s stick about four or five in there. The reasons I like prunes is one, it adds some natural sweetness to it–
– But also, great source of fibre, great source of carbohydrates, great source of minerals, such as potassium, as well, and then, we’ve got some of the milled seeds and nuts. So, there’s chia, flax, sunflower seeds in here, pumpkin seeds, pistachio nuts, obviously, not in the shells, and I’ve also got in this one goji berries. So, just stick a good dollop on there.
– I tell you what, Nige, this is a trendy porridge.
– Very trendy porridge.
– As well as a healthy porridge.
– It’s actually quite cheap when you buy these ingredients, as well.
– Are we ready to go?
Let us know what you add to yours in the comments!
If you’d like to contribute captions and video info in your language, here’s the link 👍 http://gcn.eu/w6
Music: Getting Tipsy 1 – Martin Landh
The Global Cycling Network puts you in the centre of the action: from the iconic climbs of Alpe D’Huez and Mont Ventoux to the cobbles of Flanders, everywhere there is road or pavé, world-class racing and pro riders, we will be there bringing you action, analysis and unparalleled access every week, every month, and every year. We show you how to be a better cyclist with our bike maintenance videos, tips for improving your cycling, cycling top tens, and not forgetting the weekly GCN Show. Join us on YouTube’s biggest and best cycling channel to get closer to the action and improve your riding!
Welcome to the Global Cycling Network | Inside cycling
Thanks to our sponsors:
Alta Badia: http://gcn.eu/AltaBadia- // Maratona Dles Dolomites: http://gcn.eu/MaratonaDlesDolomites-
Assos of Switzerland: http://gcn.eu/Assos
KASK helmets: http://gcn.eu/KASK
fi’zi:k shoes and saddles: http://gcn.eu/fizikshoes and http://gcn.eu/fiziksaddles
Topeak tools: http://gcn.eu/Topeak
Canyon bikes: http://gcn.eu/-Canyon
DT Swiss: http://gcn.eu/DtSwiss
Science in Sport: http://gcn.eu/SiS
Orbea bikes: http://gcn.eu/Orbea
Trek Bicycles: http://gcn.eu/-Trek
Vision wheels: http://gcn.eu/Vision
Zipp wheels: http://gcn.eu/Zipp
Wahoo Fitness: http://gcn.eu/Wahoo-Fitness
Park Tool: http://gcn.eu/-parktool
Continental tyres: http://gcn.eu/continental-
The GCN Club – http://gcn.eu/club
YouTube Channel – http://gcn.eu/gcnYT
Facebook – http://gcn.eu/gcnFb
Instagram – http://gcn.eu/GCNInsta
Google+ – http://gcn.eu/gcnGPlus
Twitter – http://gcn.eu/gcnTW
GMBN Tech – http://gmbn.tech/subscribe
GCN Tech – http://gcntech.co/subscribe
EMBN – http://embn.me/subscribe
Leave us a comment below!